When it comes to acquiring and retaining customers online, email marketing is the easily accessible tool you can leverage now to create wins over the busy holiday season.
The research in our Q3 2016 eCommerce Benchmark Report shows that behind Organic Search, email marketing is a retailer’s biggest acquisition channel.
You can find out more on email marketing, and other actionable insights in our Q3 2016 eCommerce Benchmark Report. Released quarterly, our latest eCommerce Benchmark Report reviews data from over 40 of our customers, to help you grow through Q4.
Targeted campaigns account for only 5% of emails sent but generate 1/3 of email revenue!
How can retailers make their emails more effective? Targeting your customer lists is the answer. We ran a study during Q3 for two of our top-performing retailers across 6 million emails sent and found that targeted campaigns dramatically out-performed “batch and blast” in revenue performance!
Using your customer’s behavioural data to segment email campaigns will help you send only the most relevant communications and promotions to your shoppers.
Here are more tips for email success:
- Start with a friendly welcome sequence and cart recovery emails.
- Welcome campaign have a high open rate and make them your best opportunity to incentivize a purchase. For example: offer an discount off a customer’s next purchase for signing up with you!
- Prepare lists in advance for product seasonality and shopping holidays.
- Segment your campaigns ahead of time based on past shopping behaviour during key seasons. For example: give your best customers (high average order values) early-access to big seasonal sales.
- Measure your results, and iterate. Your data will tell you what worked and what didn’t. Don’t be afraid to experiment!
Batch and Blast only on BIG Sale Days
Sending out mass emails to your customers, without any targeting, should only be reserved for days where a blanket promotion applies equally to all customers. Days like Black Friday or “Friends and Family” events are when a big send is an acceptable practice.
Do you want to build profitable relationships with your customers?
For more insights on engagement, conversion, device performance, and acquisition, download your free copy of Q3 eCommerce Benchmark Report today: