Online shoppers read product information very carefully before making their purchase decision. I’ve created a tutorial to understand how to display and describe products in Magento. Follow the instructions in this step-by-step guide, or if you’re more of a visual learner, check out the video below!
On the top menu of Magento admin page go to Catalog > Manage Products and click “Add Product”
Fill in the following product data. Required fields are marked by an *, otherwise they are optional:
A. General Tab
– Name: This will appear in the front end as the product name in the top of the product page.
– Description: The description of the product what will appear in the center of the product page
– Short Description: Product description that appears at the top of the product page
– SKU: This is used as a unique identifier for the product across all stores and websites.
– Weight: weight used for shipping calculations
– Set product as new from/to date: The date range in which this product can be promoted as a new product in various locations throughout your site.
– Status: “Enabled” displays the product in the front-end.
– URL Key: Search-engine-friendly product URL
– Visibility: Set to “Catalog, Search” so that the product will display in category pages and search results
– Allow Gift Message: Determines whether customers will be able to add gift messages to the product during checkout.
B. Prices Tab
– Price: Product’s regular price
– Special Price: Product’s sale price if applicable
– Special Price From Date: Date when the product begins to be on sale. Leave blank if the product should be on sale immediately.
– Special Price To Date: Date when the product should revert to the regular price
– Cost: Actual product cost
– Tax Class: The product’s tax class for customizing tax for different kinds of products.
– Tier Price: For customizing pricing based on customer groups and quantity purchased
C. Meta Information tab:
These attributes are used by search engines to index the product page:
– Meta Title
– Meta Keywords
– Meta Description
Use the “Browser” then “Upload” button to add images.
– Label: Title for the image
– Sort Order: Sets the order of Thumbnail images in the “more views” section
– Set whether an image is:
a) Base: Main image used in the product page
b) Small: Product image used in category pages and other product lists
c) Thumbnail: Image used in the “more views” section in the product page
– Qty: The quantity in stock
– Qty Uses Decimals: If “yes”, this will allow customers to enter decimal quantities for the product as opposed ot integers. For examples 2.35 pounds of concrete, 3.75 feet of carpeting
– Stock Availability: Set to “In stock” to make sure the shows in the frontend and can be added to cart. If “Out of stock” set Catalog > Inventory > Display Out of Stock Products to “Yes” in System > Configuration to display out of stock products with a label “Out of stock”
Check the website from the list where you want the product to be visible
Check the categories where the product belongs so that it will be shown in those category pages
Here you can suggest complimentary products that the customer would likely buy with the main product
a) Related Products: This displays a list of products in the product page and will have the label “Related Products”. Check the products that apply.
b) Up-sells: This displays a list of products in the product page and will have the label “You might also be interested in the following product(s)”. Check the products that apply.
c) Cross-sells: This displays a list of products in the shopping cart and will have the label “Based on your selection, you may be interested in the following items:”. Check the products that apply.
Save the product
Go to System > Index Management and select the following items:
– Product Attributes
– Product Prices
– Catalog URL Rewrites
– Category Products
– Stock Status
Set Actions to “Reindex Data” then Submit