There’s a lot I can say about our next featured Demacian. He truly is the “life of the party” in our office, so much so that he’s won numerous awards at our annual holiday party for his infectious personality and caring spirit.
On any given day of the week you can find our Shopify Front End Developer Marcus Tan helping our clients perfect their eCommerce presence and operations, or sharing his love of food with the office by cooking family style breakfasts for us. That’s not a small feat, but Marcus always takes the time to make sure our company and our clients are cared for.
He’s more than just a Front End Dev, he’s the Chief Value Officer (always on the lookout for a great deal) and our own company hype-man with airhorns at the ready to celebrate our achievements. Give it up for Marcus Tan…
Name: Marcus Tan
Role: Shopify Front-End Web Developer
Department: Merchant Success
Time served at Demac: 3 years, 3 months
1. How did you find Demac, or how did Demac find you?
I found Demac through one of my close friends who also works at Demac, Chris Soltar. He suggested to apply and I did and got hired!
2. What’s your work-day beverage of choice? What’s your Friday afternoon beverage of choice?
Tea, Earl Grey, hot, fill the ship and on Fridays little bit of scotch or whiskey.
3. How would you explain your job/role to a 5 year old?
I make pretty web pages so you can spend money online!
4. How do you explain what you do to your parents?
I make websites so people can buy stuff online. No, I can’t fix your printer or your network problem
5. Demac is a flexible workplace….what hours of the day (or night!) do you prefer to work or get your best work done?
Crunchtime for me is early mornings to mid-day that’s when I get the most done.
6. What did you study in school? Is it relevant to what you do now?
I went to school for Sciences. It’s not helpful to what I do now but it has taught me waking up for 8am labs is helpful to tackle your day early.
7.What song are you loving at the moment to listen to while you work? (or which was the last song played on your spotify?)
Sunflower Bean. They sound sort of like fleetwood mac. I’m a sucker for catchy songs.
8. What meme/gif/video makes you laugh the most?
9. What’s your favourite site to buy from? And/or Which eCommerce site do you think is amazing?
I find myself buying household needs from Walmart.ca monthly they have a simple checkout process and clear product page. Reducing user friction in both those areas of an eCommerce site makes it a lot easier to browse and eventually buy.
10. How do you balance work and life? / What do you like to do after you leave the office?
I find myself spending endless hours reading, playing Magic The Gathering card game, and playing board games. Lately I’ve been pouring myself into a board game called Gloomhaven I can’t recommend it enough. Be warned you could lose your whole weekend to this game.
11.What are you interested in that most people haven’t heard of?
Everyone has seen classic art, but have you seen classic art turned into memes?
Here is an example:
12. What do you love about working at Demac?
The people, the people that work here make Demac Media what it is. They are stellar, generous, caring human beings and Demac wouldn’t be the same without them.
13. Do you live Demac’s values in your everyday life? (empathy, compassion, ownership)
I like to think so. I’m very curious, so if there’s anything I don’t know I instantly Google it, I’m a giant information sponge. I think this helps in my work, because I’m always learning more about being a better developer, and using my creativity to solve complex problems for retailers. I take ownership of my own skills, and build upon them to make me that much better everyday, at my job and in my life.
14.What is your biggest pet peeve when it comes to shopping online/in stores/etc.
Checkout process is poorly designed and too many fields to fill-out. Keep it simple retailers!
15. What have you done at Demac that you’re most proud of?
Building the Clae.com site! I got to build the whole website from start to finish, and that was really rewarding to me. Also, hosting breakfast once a month for the whole company makes me really happy.