We’re back for the 3rd post in our new series on the Demac blog! Each week we’re putting Demac Media employees in the spotlight so that you can learn more about who we are, what we believe in, and how we work.
Our interviewee this week has been extremely busy making Ads and checking them twice for Black Friday and Cyber Monday – ‘tis the season! – for our retailers. Alex works on the Merchant Success teamand helps our merchants and retailers grow their businesses on Google Adwords. The sheer amount of spreadsheets Alex works with is astounding, and even though he’s new to our team this year – he’s an integral part of it!
Meet Alex Boyle…
Name: Alex Boyle
Role: SEM Coordinator/Specialist
Department: Merchant Success
Time served at Demac: 8 months
1. How did you find Demac or how did Demac find you?
I found Demac on some job website – I think Indeed. My internship finished so I started applying two weeks before. I had my final Demac interview on my last day at the other company. I immediately came in and was a good fit.
2. What’s your work-day beverage of choice? What’s your Friday afternoon beverage of choice?
Coffee lots of coffee! I drink it here, or get it from Starbucks because it’s close. Friday it’s prime time for the kegs to be open.
3. How would you explain your job/role to a 5 year old?
I help stores sell stuff.
4. How do you explain what you do to your parents?
My parents are tech savvy. You know those annoying ads you see on Google? I make those.
5. Demac is a flexible workplace….what hours of the day (or night!) do you prefer to work or get your best work done?
Anytime except from noon to 1…eating time.
6. What did you study in school? Is it relevant to what you do now?
I studied archeology and business, one is and one is not…unless we get an archeology client that would be awesome.
7.What song are you loving at the moment to listen to while you work? (or which was the last song played on your spotify?)
Bad Touch – Bloodhound Gang
8. What meme/gif/video makes you laugh the most?
I always love Badluck Brian! Especially creative ones.
9. What’s your favourite site to buy from? / Which eCommerce site do you think is amazing?
I don’t buy that much online which is ironic. I love Amazon, and our client Boathouse.
10. How do you balance work and life? / What do you like to do after you leave the office?
I see my friends a lot. When I’m here I work hard, but when I go home I try not to think about work so much. Just keep myself busy, watch the leafs, go to an Octoberfest in kitchen at the Concordia Club.
11. What are you interested in that most people haven’t heard of?
I like flintnapping. You start with flint. It’s the things you use to make stone tools. The flint is a softrock, then you take a hammer to shape things like antlers.
12. What do you love about working at Demac?
I love the sense of community. You feel like a real part of the company in a positive way. Everyone is super nice and fun.
13. Do you live Demac’s values in your everyday life?
When I saw in our on-boarding I saw curiosity is mentioned in the document. I am trying to be more curious and learn more about the digital marketing world.
14. What is your biggest pet peeve when it comes to shopping online/in stores/etc?
In stores, it’s the worst when you’re looking for help and no one is around – so that’s the nice thing about shopping online.
15. What have you done at Demac that you’re most proud of?
I helped out with Project Water which was really cool and satisfying to help the community. You can see me in their top tweet! It’s my back, not my face…but still I can prove I’m there!
Want to Work at Demac? Check out our Careers Page for Openings.