If this is your first time working on a Magento site, or maybe you’ve already worked on a few but are starting something new – you’ve found the right place to start the journey. You need no knowledge of the Magento platform in order to download and set up a new install, just simply follow the steps below and you’ll be on your way in no time!
There are 10 detailed steps below but here is an outline of what we are going to do in this tutorial:
1. Download the Magento install.
2. Add the site to your host and vhost file.
3. Create a new database.
4. Complete the install steps.
Yes, that is really all there is to it so lets get started!
1. Log In: Head on over to the Magento Partners site and log in through the Partners Portal.
2. Download Magento: Navigate to the Technical Resources page from the link in the header. In the bottom left hand corner you will see the Enterprise Edition option, click on Download.
3. Once you are on the Downloads page select the Release folder in the left hand column, and double click your chosen version – right now we are going to be setting up Magento Enterprise Edition – v 188.8.131.52.
4. Download Sample Data: If you want to work with sample data in your store, now is a good time to download that as well by selecting the Sample Data folder and choosing the same version as the release.
Section 2: Set Up & Install
5. a) Folder Set Up: Now that you have all of the necessary files it is time to get your store set up. Unzip the release file, navigate to a folder on your computer where you will be storing the files and place the Magento download folder inside. If you are not using the sample data you can skip step 5b.
5. b) Adding Sample Data: To add the sample data simply take the media and privatesales folders from inside the sample data download and add it to your new project. Leave the .sql file as we will be using that later.
6. Vhost: Now that all of your files are in the right spot we just need to add the new project to your vhost file. There is a a example in the file so if it is the first site just follow the format and replace the necessary information like below.
7. Host File: Next you will add the project to your host file, local for testing internally and a staging if you have clients needing access.
127.0.0.1 dummy-host.example.com // local
8. Create a new database:
Open MAMP and click Open Start Page.
From the navigation select Tools > phpMyAdmin.
From the tabs select Databases and in the text field write your new database name. Set the Collation to utf8_general_ci, and click Create.
9. Import Sample Data:
In phpMyAdmin select the Import tab from the top navigation
Browse your computer and find the sample data folder we downloaded earlier and select the .sql file, click Go.
10. Install: Navigate to your new at site dummy-host.example.com and go through the Install steps.
As you go through the steps on the Configuration page:
User Name and Password can be found on the MAMP start page.
Check off the “Use Web Server (Apache) Rewrites” option.
On Create Admin Account, don’t set an encryption key.
And there you have it, check the domain to make sure it’s working and the process is complete!